Whether you’re a relatively new homeowner or have lived in your home for some time now, you probably have a fall “To-Do” list to tackle prior to winter’s arrival. One of those priorities should be removing debris such as leaves and sticks or twigs for your rain gutters.
Keeping this debris out of your gutters is critical when it comes to protecting your home’s structure and avoiding costly repairs in the future. The following is a list of the 5 most important reasons to clean out your rain gutters every fall:
• To alleviate the risk of foundation cracking – when your rain gutters get clogged, the water cannot travel away from your home’s structure. Consequently, it can pool up around your home’s foundation and cause it to crack when the water expands as it freezes during winter.
• To keep pests out of your home – rain gutters that are clogged up with leaves and other debris make desirable habitats for birds, insects, and rodents. The last thing you want is an infestation of any of these in your home.
• To prevent water damage – rainwater can’t drain properly when leaves and other debris are blocking the gutters and downspouts. When rain gutters overflow it can cause costly exterior and interior water damage.
• To protect your roof – when rain gutters are clogged, the water has no place to run. As a result, if allowed to continue flooding over, it can cause your roof to leak or rot thereby requiring costly repairs or replacement.
• To save you money – regular gutter and downspout maintenance helps prevent costly damage and other expensive projects in the future. Taking preventative steps now will help to minimize any likelihood of repairing or replacing your roof.
Now that you’ve familiarized yourself with the importance of cleaning your rain gutters every fall, what should you consider doing next? While there’s no equation or simple answer as to how often your rain gutters should be cleaned out, clearing them every fall and spring will go a long way to alleviating any costly repairs or replacement.
If you’re concerned about the condition of your rain gutters and downspouts but are unable to tackle this job yourself, don’t hesitate to contact a professional roofing in San Mateo team if you have any doubts or questions regarding the condition of your rain gutters and roof.
To learn more about the importance of cleaning your rain gutters and the adverse consequences of neglecting that task, call Shelton Roofing at (916) 635-8320 today. Our business representatives are available to assist you with your requirements.