A skylight allows a greater amount of sunlight to reach the inner sections of a building. Still a skylight’s benefits could arrive in the company of some unanticipated, skylight caused problems.
Reviewing the advantages linked to skylights
• The homeowner enjoys a decrease in the size of the home’s utility bills, specifically, the electric bill.
• The light within the home gets more evenly distributed.
• The home’s ventilation improves; the home’s indoor air quality also improves.
• There is a decreased need for side windows, which provides the home’s residents with a larger amount of privacy.
• In a larger building, the introduction of skylights can aid creation of more functional space.
How addition of a skylight could aid the introduction of roof-related problems?
• It increases the chances for leak formation.
• It invites the need for alterations in the roof; that increases the chances for introduction of a weak seam.
• It aids the development of mold growth. Growing mold can trigger asthma and allergies.
How a homeowner could work to limit the negative effects of a skylight
By purchasing quality materials, or by hiring a Roofing contractor in San Mateo that uses such materials, a homeowner has the ability to limit the extent of a skylight’s negative effects. For example, a homeowner could use the proper roofing cement. That would entail using silicone tubing, if it became necessary to fill one or more holes. After all, water leaks through holes. That simple fact highlights the need for creation of properly filled holes.
Skylights could invite problems on days when the sun did not shine. Fortunately, there is a way to deal with that possibility. It concerns utilization of high-performance weather stripping.
A cautionary note
Many colleges and commercial have added skylights to their buildings in the recent past. That move allowed such institutions to decrease the size of its heating bill. At the same time, it broadcast the businesses desire to reduce the use of costly and dirty sources of energy.
If you are planning to get a skylight installed, it is good to call in the experienced installers. However, you will need to work with the professional installers to ensure only the best materials are used. And if there is any leak, call them immediately to stop it from snowballing into something big. These are some of the ways they will reinforce the structure:
• Seal the cracks or gaps by using quality cement for the roof
• Use silicone tube to close the holes in the windows
• Replace the metal flashings that have been damaged
• Installation of high-quality weather stripping
At Shelton Roofing Co., we have been in the business since 1942 and can assist you with all your roofing needs. Call us today for a free quote on new roof or repairs on the old one. We’re here to assist you.